My most favourite looking texture has always been seudey velvet textures in fashion and (lip) fashion too.
Theres nothing more stunning than a velvety matte looking lip, especially set against a sheer, dewy skin.
Had the pleasure of shooting with Brian Rolfe, a wonderful beauty photographer in the UK and heres how I created a story based on around deep red petal-like velvet lips...
1. Pre moisturise the lips ready for colour before starting the makeup then blot off. 2. Apply a light layer of a sheer transclucent powder across the lips to matte out the area.
3. Starting in the middle of the bottom lip, slowly trace a line around the lip, I used MAC Cherry Lip Pencil here. Next draw in the cupids bow on the top to help with the symmetry and the draw the side lip lines. Dont forget to get in the inner corners as well. Feather in the lip liner into the lips to create a matte base.
4. Using an opaque liquid lipstick, I used MAC Lipmix in Red and paint over this with a lip brush.
5. Using a matte loose powder pigment tap into the lip section by section to give the colour intensity and change the texture. I used MAC Basic Red Pro Pigment.
6. Getting a tissue, carefully separate the pieces and lightly press one of the pieces over the lip and dust the sheer powder across again to set the colour.